photo 30dc32f3-8e1d-4bea-bef3-5a0e682133e3_zpsnhet8qfw.png  photo 9943f810-913f-4719-8f10-d033f7c05735_zps0jxyidda.png  photo 6c4aeae4-7887-4a04-9916-870fac6c617e_zpsdz6psnf6.png  photo dcc1f56c-8a97-4872-b574-1774de39d4c0_zpsm0p4oega.png  photo 2e10d893-1361-4cfa-bab6-c982a738dbb9_zps2it5pjyr.png

Saturday, November 28, 2015

ThingLink Interactive Image Assignment

I'm in the process of revising my ThingLink Interactive Image assignment that includes an image and a presentation. I learned about ThingLink at the Practical Ed Tech Summer Camp a few years ago - and immediately began to see it's potential.

I started playing around - and the first image I created was this sewing machine for a beginning sewing class I taught (yes, I teach sewing...in addition to college communication courses!). This machine is commonly used in school classrooms.


Once I figured it out, I thought about the assignment. 

The first year, I kept it simple by using ThingLink as a get-to-know-you activity. I put my students into groups and they took a picture of themselves. Then they interviewed one another and added hotspots (text, links, and video) that reflected their interests and some facts about them. I invited the team leader to my Pinterest board; s/he pinned the finished image a few days later.

Some of the pictures were hilarious!

.js">


Others were full of great content...




The following year, I created the Thinglink Assignment - with an image and a presentation. It was great to see what my students came up with, especially the picture they selected. I think my biggest shock was that I had an avid bow hunter and champion archer in my class!

Here's a campus map of Mansfield University:




My only problem with the assignment was that some of my students gave a speech as if the image was a visual aid for the topic - so in my case, I'd give a speech on the parts of a sewing machine. In truth, the presentation is about the strategy that the student used in selecting the image and placing the hotspots - why is the image needed? why a link? why a video? etc. 

Other than that, this assignment is a great way to learn about students, in particular, their hobbies and their interests. So it's a great way to start the semester.

Learn more about the ThingLink Interactive Image Assignment in my Teachers Pay Teachers Store.

No comments:

Post a Comment